Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Great Thoughts and Good Vibrations

Recently, Kelly and I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer locally. Well, to be honest, she sort of forced me to go one morning before work. Don't get me wrong, Kelly and I have been discussing the chance to volunteer for about a year or so but between school and work we never really found much time. The arrival of summer meant many numerous hours not spent twiddling away at homework and Kelly saw the perfect opportunity via internet.

As should be expected, I didn't take much notice of the event until, well, until we were actually there. I was focused on a busy Father's Day weekend at work, and a reminder to awake early in the morning sent a long forgotten memory back into my mind. "Oh that's right! She volunteered us! Crap, where are my clothes!?"

Enter scene, Feeding Kids Everywhere.

What we approached on our arrival to the volunteer location, other than a fast and expedient trip around the corner, was a simple warehouse with a beautiful logo of kids around a globe. As we walked inside the scene shifted from an industrial park to a Willy Wonka's of food production. Colorful tables, vibrant hair nets, music videos, and lights all collaborated together to paint a picture of what this organization was all about: helping through fun.

Feeding Children Everywhere, via their website, "is a social charity that empowers and mobilizes people to assemble healthy meals for hungry children." The organization focuses on one simple nutritious meal. The meals focus on providing vitamins such as: A, B6, C, D, E, Folic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc and more with the goal of a healthy and filling meal in mind. As I was talking with one of the "line leaders" (volunteers who help organize the human factory) the choice to not use Soy in their meal and lentils instead was based on the large amounts of estrogen naturally found in Soy. I honestly had no idea, but I can see drastic implications for children who might consume too many hormones, both girls and boys. 


During our short time at Feeding Children Everywhere we were working on packing meals for the Oklahoma tornado victims. Just the fact that a meal I helped make would most likely help save a life was one of the most joyful experiences I have ever had. Some might dismiss philanthropy, and I might have to take pity on them because the uplift you get from such an experience is better than an hour massage or a day at the spa. There really is nothing that comes close.

By the end of our 2 hour shift, which involved much music and dancing, we were able to create some 33,000 meals and there were multiple shifts that day! A two hour experience, not even an inconvenience, was able to help so many people and not only got me out of the house, but allowed me to meet some really fantastic people. The organization itself only has a few locations across the U.S. but I highly recommend checking out their website and learning more. http://www.feedingchildreneverywhere.com/

Kelly and I will be heading back for the next event, come join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment